Pine Valley Special Services District Meeting (PVSSD): Minutes of the Meeting held on February 1, 2017

Pine Valley Special Services District Meeting on February 1, 2017 at 6:00 pm


Attending Board Members:   Mary Esther Putnam, Allen Cannon, Herman Nordbruch, Dall Winn and John Nichols

Also Present:  Rick Peetz, Treasurer;   Steve Shakespeare, Fire Chief;  Rachel Carignan, Secretary

Absent:  None

Guest:  Ford Northington, Gerald Schiefer, Laurett Winterton, Guin Winn and Frank Davie


Mary Esther Putnam called the meeting to order at 6:00 pm, Steve led the Pledge of Allegiance, and John said the Prayer.

Meeting Minutes

The Minutes of the January 4, 2017 Meeting were read by each Board Member.  John motioned to accept the Minutes, Allen seconded the motion and all else were in favor.

Building Permits to Review

There were no Building Permits.

Board Member Reports 

Mary Esther showed us a copy of the Five County News and read us an Article on Loans and Grants.  The article also mentioned a Workshop to be held on March 15 at the Washington City Community Center located at 350 N Community Center Drive.  Rick, Dall and others are planning on attending this workshop.

Dall showed us a new project he is working on for the RAP program.  He was successful last year and we have a new gate at the end of Main Street.  This new project is for Repairing the Boundary Fence around the town, with Park and Trailhead Access.  Steve mentioned a Continuing Program lasting four years .  John mentioned a contractor would be best with men of the town helping with the boundary.  Dall will get the application together and submit it before the deadline.

John brought up the reflector poles and parking signs in the town.  Mary Esther brought up going to County for No Parking signs.  Both agreed to bring these matters up at our next meeting of the County Commissioners.  Mary Esther will contact the Commissioner and schedule a meeting in April.  It was suggested to contact Joe Rechsteiner from the Forestry Department to come to our next meeting, if possible, to discuss some of our issues that concern the Forest Department.  Gerald Schiefer said he would contact Joe.  It was also suggested to invite Joe to attend our meetings with the County Commissioners.

Allen commented our meeting with the County Commissioners had been fruitful.  A discussion followed about the Workshop on March 15 and future meetings with the County Commissioners.

Herman read a letter to the Board from Dall, John and Herman on Pine Valley Groundwater Protection.  Allen suggested the next step is to go to the Planning Commission with the letter, and all agreed.

Fire Chief:  Steve gave us a copy of the Chief’s Report 1 February 2017.  He talked about the five incidents this last month, which included two EMT calls to Central, pulling five vehicles out of the snow and a car accident on Highway 18.  He also handed out a summary of activity for 2016 which included 4932 hours with 57 callouts.  We have 8 EMT’s.  It was brought up the number of vehicles towed out of the snow.  Steve was concerned about the liability.  Rick will check into this.  Steve handed out a letter for Firefighters and EMT’s, Pine Valley Volunteer Fire Department dated January 1, 2017.  This will go into effect on January 1, 2018.  John motioned to accept this letter as Standards and Procedures for the Pine Valley Volunteer Fire Department.  Allen seconded and all were in favor.  Laurett suggested the EMT’s could use new training equipment.  It was agreed to look into this.

Treasurer Report:  Rick Peetz read and explained the “Balance Sheet” dated January 31, 2017, the “Profit & Loss Sheet” dated January 2017, the “Profit & Loss Detail” dated January 2017 and the “Profit and Loss Budget vs. Actual” dated January 2017.  Allen motioned to accept the Financials, John seconded and all were in favor.

Ford from the audience said with Tom leaving, there would be a vacancy on the PVLAD.  Ford would place an advertisement in the paper.  Ford also asked for the address of the firehouse to be placed on the outside in 6” or 8” letters.  Steve and Rick agreed to do this.

Dall motioned to adjourn the meeting at 7:15 pm.  Herman seconded and all were in favor.

The next scheduled PVSSD meeting will be March 1, 2017 at 6:00 pm.