Pine Valley Special Service District Meeting (PVSSD): Minutes of the Meeting held On October 7, 2009

Attending Members: Mary Esther Putnam (Chair); Dall Winn; John Nichols; Spence Beckstrom;

Jeff Gardner

Also Present: Gerald Schiefer (Fire Chief); George Cropper (Treasurer); Beverly Udell (Secretary).

Guests:  Fermin Esparza; Ray Lindblom

Absent: N/A


1.  General Business:

a/b. Welcome – Meeting was opened by Mary Esther (Co-Chair) at 5:05 PM and the Pledge of Allegiance was said.

c. Minutes – The Minutes from September 2, 2009 were reviewed by each Board member.  Dall motioned to accept the Minutes as corrected, John seconded the motion and all were in favor.

d. Pine Valley Building Permits Reviewed:  N/A 

e. Building and Contents Revue for Insurance Update – Because we are now adding insurance for the new addition to the fire station, George wanted to know if we wanted to change anything on the policy we hold.  Currently our insurance covers $495,000 for the building itself, plus up to $39,907 for the contents (contents are currently covered at the depreciated value, not replacement value.)  Beverly encouraged everyone to consider a higher amount for contents and maybe look into a policy that looks at replacement value of the contents.  Just the turnout gear and SCBAs would probably come up to the $39, 907, and we still need to consider equipment, appliances, medical supplies, etc. There was talk of forming a committee to inventory and revue the contents of the station.  Mary Esther asked George to look into what the cost differences would be on a higher or lower value policy.

f. Board Member Reports:

BeverlyGave the current H1N1 report.  She also told the Board that the delinquent list for 2009 has been turned into the County Treasurer’s office.

Spence:  Spence sent a letter to the Pine Valley Irrigation Company regarding to our feeling on the fire hydrant bill.  So far he has not heard anything back from them.  John said he noticed that his personal water bill has gone up. * Spence wondered if we should have signage in front of the fire station saying something about EMT or the fact that it was also a police substation.  Everyone thought that was a good idea.  Gerald will look into getting the sign. *  Spence received a letter from the County Attorney in response to our questions regarding RV and trailer parking in our valley.  Spence suggested that the information on those regulations should go into our annual Pine Valley fee letter.  County zoning states that there shall be no living in a parked trailer or RV, unless the party has received a 1 year permit (from the County) to do because of home construction on the property.  If the property allows for an accessory building, that “building” can not be an RV or trailer.

Dall: There is a meeting at 11:00 AM on Monday, October 12, with Rob Tersigni.  To date, until further notice, we are done for the year as far as extra police coverage.  Dall has revued the logs that the deputies have turned in for their hours and he is not satisfied them, so that is one topic that will be covered with Rob.  Dall and Mary Esther are currently continuing to go through those reports. We might consider having more firm protocols in 2010.  We are still learning. In 2008, we needed additional deputy coverage over holiday weekends and Christmas.  We need to decide if we want to do that again – but we may better be able to determine that based on the meeting with Rob. * JMI wants us to pay for approx. $7,000 worth of extra items that we feel were part of the original contract. Dall and John will meet with the Jennings to discuss these items.  JMI also added things for us that were not in the basic price, so we would indeed need to pay them for those items – such as sealing the building, benches, the EMT cabinet, dressing rooms.

John: .John just inquired as to whether or not we were collecting impact fees on new home construction projects and if so, do we have records of that.  George answered that yes we were collecting those fees, and that he kept a log of those collected.  Jeff and George both read the manual regarding the new impact fee laws.  Jeff feels that maybe we should hire a consultant to interpret those new laws for us.  Might there be someone at the County office that can do that? Spence will ask Dave Patterson about that. George added that maybe we should just revise the impact fee structure we already have in place.  And we should also discuss how we want to proceed for the future needs. George doesn’t think we need a big increase; the purpose is to pay for the building.

g. Fire Chief – See report. Gerald asked for approval for reimbursement to Beverly for recent purchases of EMT supplies.  He also asked for funding for 4 EMT’s to go for training in Salt Lake.  An approximate figure of $2,500 was projected for the EMT training, hotel, gas, food etc. Spence motioned for the Board to cover both reimbursement for Beverly and the training for the four EMTs, Jeff seconded that motion and all else were in favor. * Dall brought up that he felt strongly that since Gerald has declined to accept a salary for his position as Fire Chief, he should at least get paid reimbursement for costs incurred while traveling to meetings.  Gerald said that all of the EMTs and firefighters in the department volunteered to used their own monies for gas to meetings and/or local trainings, so he declined the offer of his own being reimbursed.

h. Treasurer’s Report – George:  See attached report.  George said that he needs to set up some type of protocol for how/when he transfers money from the PVSSD to the PVLAD. Right now it is now a set flat figure, but instead figured that $25.00 per homeowner (taken from the already existing $150 PVSSD fee that is charged) that will be transferred to the PVLAD.


2 –   Public Comments: N/A


Spence moved for the meeting to adjourn at 6:45.  All were in favor.


The next Board meeting will be held on Wednesday, November 4, 2009 at 5:00 P.M.