Pine Valley Special Service District Meeting (PVSSD): Minutes of the Meeting held On April 2, 2008

Attending Members: Mary Esther Putnam (Chair); Dall Winn; Jeff Gardner; Spence Beckstrom; John Nichols

Also Present: Gerald Schiefer (Fire Chief); George Cropper (Treasurer)

Guests:  Guin Winn; Donna Gardner; Fred Pendleton;

Absent: John Nichols and Beverly Udell (Secretary)


1.  General Business:

a/b. Welcome – Meeting was opened by Mary Esther (Chair)

c. Minutes: The minutes for the March 5th meeting were reviewed Dall motioned to accept the Minutes as written, Jeff seconded that motion and all were in favor.

d. Pine Valley Building Permits Reviewed: None

e. Officer Positions for 2008: Discussion and voting on Board Officer positions was again postponed because of an absent member (John Nichols).  The voting will be held during the May meeting.

f. Impact Fees: The proposed impact fee changes were discussed at length.  Mary Esther has prepared a written analysis of the potential needs for and uses of funds from possible increased fees.  Fees discussed and considered were for residential, add-on, out building and commercial construction.  Also talked about were various other towns/cities charges and also that of Washington County.  After discussion of various votes, Dall motioned that the Board hold a public hearing and consider a new proposed impact fee structure as follows:

New residential construction: $4500.00 each.

Additions to existing homes OR new out buildings that require a permit: each be assessed at .50 cents per square foot up to 3000 square feet OR $1500.00.  After that, additional footage would not be assessed.

Commercial construction: Would be assessed at $20,000.00 per project up to 10,000 square feet (considering that there may be more than one building) AND $3.00 per square foot on space over 10,000 square feet.

The Board then discussed this motion further in detail, after which it was seconded by Spence and was passed by unanimous vote. * A public hearing will be held after appropriate public notice on either April 16 or April 23 at 6:00 PM. * The “” web site expires in 90 days.  The Board agreed to renew the domain for another year and pay the costs of such.  The Board is very appreciative of Vicki Frei for her work on the site.  * Will send a letter of thanks to Glenn Mack for his generous contribution to the fire department. * Mary Esther expressed regret and sadness from the Board and Community at the resignation of Pres. Lee Caldwell from Dixie College.

Board Member Reports:

Mary Esther:

Jeff:  Talked to the County about guardrails.  He was passed on to the Road Department and also the Forestry Service.  There was another auto accident this past week.  The County claims not to be responsible for improvements to this road.

Dall: Continues to work with the Treasurer (George) regarding the ongoing payments of department bills.

Spence: Contacted the County Attorney’s Office about the process to include Law Enforcement in the Pine Valley Charter.  It is in process.  We would prefer to have it under the existing Special Service District Board.  * So far there is not any action regarding the pavement of roads in Pine Valley.  Would require a Special Improvement District. Payment for the paving could be made over several years.  It is probably not worth a Special Improvement District in Pine Valley at this time.  Spence to work with the County to get a suggestion for priority of roads needing paving. Spence will conduct this research.  The paving is to help eliminate dust and mud.

Fire Chief – Gerald:  See attached report. * There was also further discussion regarding available pumps for the new truck. * Golden Steel has left Pine Valley, which is a big loss for the fire department. * Dall has made new accountability Boards. * Ongoing discussion regarding building expansion to include a new bay, fuel storage and enlarged training room. * Working on possible water tender truck.

Treasurer’s Report – George:  Morris Peacock home location information for Beverly. * All are invited to the State Auditor’s Regional Seminar which will be held on April 23 in St. George. * Financial report for March 2008 present and discussed.


2 –   Public Comments: Fred Pendleton is working on an updated community survey.  It will possibly go out with the Dinner Committee letter?  May include info on recreational development.  Fred will bring a draft to the May meeting.


Dall moved for the meeting to adjourn at 6:15.  All were in favor.


The next Board meeting will be held on Wednesday, May 7, 2008 at 5:00 P.M.